This article was originally published on this site
The S&P 500 Index is a market-capitalization-weighted index of the 500 largest publicly traded companies in the U.S. It is widely regarded as the best gauge of large-cap U.S. equities. Some of the largest companies in the index include Microsoft Corp. (MSFT), Apple Inc. (AAPL), and Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN). The S&P 500 posted a 12-month trailing total return of 26.8% as of January 29, 2019. These market performance numbers and the statistics in the tables below are as of January 29.
Below, we’ll look at the top stocks for January with regard to value, growth, and momentum.
Stocks with the Best Value
These are the stocks from the S&P 500 with the lowest 12-month trailing price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio. Because profits can be returned to shareholders in the form of dividends and buybacks, a low P/E ratio shows you’re paying less for each dollar of profit generated.
- Vornado Realty Trust: Vornado Realty Trust is a real estate investment trust (REIT) that owns office, retail, merchandise mart properties, and other real estate and related investments.
- ViacomCBS Inc.: ViacomCBS is a multimedia company engaged in the operation of broadcasting, television production, and publishing businesses that serve audiences around the world. It was formed out of the December 4, 2019 merger of Viacom and CBS.
- Macy’s Inc.: Macy’s operates a nationwide chain of department stores that offer a wide range of merchandise, including apparel, accessories, cosmetics, home furnishings, and other consumer goods. In early January, the company reported a 0.6% drop in year-over-year comparative sales for the 2019 holiday season.
Stocks with the Fastest Earnings Growth
These are the stocks from the S&P 500 with the fastest year-over-year (YOY) earnings per share (EPS) growth for the most recent quarter. Rising earnings show that a company’s business is growing and is generating more money that it can reinvest or return to shareholders.
- Helmerich & Payne Inc.: Helmerich & Payne enters into contracts with oil and gas exploration and production companies to drill wells in the United States, South America, and the Middle East.
- Welltower Inc.: Welltower operates as a REIT that invests in senior housing and properties involved in health care services.
- ServiceNow Inc.: ServiceNow provides cloud computing services for human resources, customer service, security, and other business needs. The company just announced the acquisition of Passage AI, an automated platform that can understand and translate text in all major languages.
Stocks with the Most Momentum
These are the stocks from the S&P 500 that had the greatest total return over the past 12 months.
- Advanced Micro Devices Inc.: Advanced Micro Devices designs and manufactures semiconductors and related products that include microprocessors and graphics cards. On Jan. 29, 2020, the company estimated fiscal year 2020 revenue growth of 28% to 30% over 2019, driven by strong results in all business lines.
- Paycom Software Inc.: Paycom Software offers payroll and other cloud-based applications for companies to manage employment, from recruiting to retirement. The company was added to the S&P 500 on Jan. 28.
- TransDigm Group Inc.: TransDigm Group designs and manufactures aircraft components for military and civilian aviation.
Powered by WPeMatico